Ayasuluk Hill – Ephesus (Selçuk) Overview
Christian tradition states that St. John lived and died here 50 years after Christ’s death. A shrine was built over his grave in the 4th century. The church, the ruins of which can be seen today, was built by the Emperor Justinian in the 6th century. The walls around the hill were built in the early period of Christianity and the stones from the former stadium were used for the construction of them.
The Isa Bey Mosque, on the foot of the hill is one of the best examples of the Aydınoğulları architecture. It was built by the architect Ali in 1374 for Isa Bey of the Aydınoğulları. There are also some tombs from the Seljuk period and aqueducts from the Byzantine Ephesus Theatre period.